I need to admit something. I am a veggie-aholic. Is there such a thing? I just really love vegetables, fresh or cooked. I have to grow a large garden to support my addiction. I just can not get enough of them! Fresh veges are seriously the bomb. Picked right from the garden…does it get any better than that? You know another reason I love my job cooking at the school? I get to snack on all the fresh veges we have there. In fact, I have a huge salad at lunch packed full of vegetables. I look forward to that everyday! Cooked vegetables are also at the top of my list. Too bad I can’t get the rest of my family on board with my addiction. However, this Chicken Cashew Stir-Fry is one way I can get both of my kids and my husband to gobble up the vegetables. They are not even hidden and they just adored every bite! I was completely speechless. They asked seconds!
This amazing stir-fry is full of any sort of vegetables you want to add. The sauce for this is THEE best I have ever tasted! The vegetables you want to add are truly limitless. If you want to add carrots, throw ‘em in. Snow peas…oh my these are delicious in this. Do you have any zucchini laying around? Toss that in. This is really a catch all stir-fry with one amazing sauce. The chicken really makes a great stir-fry, but those cashews are downright lip-smacking good. If you want some heat to this dish, add some Tabasco to your liking.
For the vegetables, use what ever your heart desires, but cut them thin and in uniform shape. This will help to cook them fast and even. If you want to reduce the sodium in this dish, use low sodium soy sauce and chicken broth (or make you own). This is a super healthified dish. My favorite!
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive or sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce (opt.)
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into 1" cubes or thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup to 1 cup cashew halves
- 2-4 cups vegetables*
- prepared rice
- ½ cup minced green onion (opt.)
- Whisk together the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of oil, sesame seeds cornstarch, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce; set aside.
- In a large frypan, saute the chicken in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned. Add the vegetables (see note below*). After vegetables are cooked add the soy sauce mixture and cashews. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens (about 3-5 minutes). Serve over rice and sprinkle with fresh minced green onion.
Add the vegetables to pan according to the length of time needed to cook until crisp-tender. Add first: thinly sliced carrots. Next: sliced & peeled broccoli stems, onions, bell pepper strips, sugar/snap peas, water chestnuts, asparagus, chopped Swiss chard stems, cabbage. Next: broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms, and summer squash/zucchini. Last: fresh greens like spinach. Cut vegetables similar in size.
Recipe inspired from Simply In Season