Sometimes it is a challenge to get my kids to eat vegetables, especially green beans. This recipe helps with that and it has a healthy source of protein. This would even be great to serve as a main dish! It takes minutes to put together and it can be mixed together in the pan it is being baked in. I grow green beans in my garden during the summer, and freeze them for use later on. This is one of my favorite ways to use them!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup finely crushed cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1¼ cups fresh, frozen or canned green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1½ quart baking dish. In the baking dish whisk together the eggs. Add the milk, salt, crackers, onion, and cheese. Add the green beans. Place the small pieces of butter on top of green beans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.
Adapted from More with Less by Doris Longacre